Wednesday 23 January 2013

Sob.

My parents are leaving me in a week. For 6 weeks.

Does anyone want to move in with me and become my housewife for 6 weeks?

I'm not incapable of cooking or washing up it's just that usually when I'm busy with work, eating is the last thing on my mind. I realised that I just want to finish my work and relax rather than pausing to eat a decent meal and then continuing with work. When I'm full up, I'm lazier than ever. Maybe I should use food as an incentive to finish my work more often, but then again, it'll most likely be around midnight before I get a decent meal down me. It took me 5 hours just now to read and make notes on 3 neuropsychological papers. Anything neuro/biological is a major weakpoint for me yet I chose to take a mostly biological psychology course at university - uh duhhh clever me.

So my parents are jetting off to Hong Kong to spend Chinese New Year with my relatives over there and they're not coming back for a long while. Which means I'll have to fend for myself in the cold, dark, empty, lonely household - only kidding. In some ways, they won't be missed, I get to do whatever I want when I want without Mum constantly nagging me. Can you believe that she still tells us when to shower?

I'll miss Mum's cooking so much though, she wrote me some recipes of my favourite dishes so I can make them but I know it'll turn out a complete failure. I'm scared of oil, guys, you should see the mess I make when I make fried chicken wings at home... Mum's always worried about leaving me and my brother even though we're both in our 20s - she still treats us like we're kids sometimes. I guess that's a good thing and a bad thing, it's a bad thing when she fusses over us, it's a good thing when she spoils us with snacks. I'll miss my Dad going out of his way for me all the time, whenever I'm feeling lazy to walk home from the tube station I just give my Dad a call and he'll be there in 5 minutes to pick me up. I'll be glad he won't be sitting at home playing online Mahjong all the time though.

In a way, I want them out of the house because the longer they're here, the more my Mum obsesses over little things such as re-painting little scrapes on the wall/door frame (yes she does this), cleaning everything she can see (she does this too). I'm beginning to suspect that Mum might have a little bit of OCD when it comes to cleanliness and tidiness. I mean, people like to be clean and tidy but my Mum's idea of clean and tidy is literally on a whole other level.

The refurbishments to the house has been finished now, the giant skip that has been living on our driveway for the past 2 months has gone - bye bye 21 years worth of crap. Some of the stuff in that skip is actually older than me - my Mum kept going on about how much garbage we've collected over the years. I think a lifelong goal for me is not to hoard anything - if you don't plan to use it anymore, throw it away! I kept that mentality when I was sifting through my belongings, I had to throw out so many clothes and shoes and objects - even ones that have some significance to me just because I don't have room for it and I'm not planning to use it again so it goes in the bin. When I think about it now, I threw out a pair of boots I wore like 3 times... oops. I need to be more choosy in what I buy from now on. There were certain things that I thought - why the heck did I buy this? Wow, what a waste of money.

I do love my new bedroom now though...

No comments:

Post a Comment