Thursday 12 September 2013

New university, new course, new beginnings.

Just now, I found myself re-arranging and sorting out my bookmarks on Chrome, deleting all remnants of RHUL links I used to use on a daily basis throughout my course - I must say it made me miss RHUL just a little. I'll be replacing those links with Westminster uni links soon enough. Like the title says - new university, new course and a new beginning. 

I enrolled at Westminster today, I'm glad the campus was simple enough to locate, being situated right next to Baker Street station and all. The building itself is very simple to move around in, of course, for a second I forgot that London university campuses aren't very "campus-like", they're more like clusters of buildings dotted around different parts of the city. The finance office was very easy to find which was a relief as I wanted to get the fees part of enrolment over and done with before actually enrolling. I realised I had turned up for some pointless talks, such as the introduction to the university and its history - not particularly relevant to my course. Also, some annoying girls were chatting behind me which made the talk slightly unbearable to sit through. 

I spent half of the lunch break sorting out fees at the finance office so I didn't get to do anything apart from find KFC, McDonalds, Subway and Starbucks - they're all I need right? I only managed to buy a green tea from Starbucks before having to head back to the building in time for the first course-relevant talk of the day. 

This was where I met my fellow course-mates who I would be spending the next year around. The majority are girls (yet again, in a course full of girls) and are international. They're all lovely people, I felt like the baby of the class being a freshly graduated 21 year old whilst most are either married with children, been working abroad for a couple of years or started off in another field and wanted to get into HR suddenly. I met only 2 home students, one of them was from another part of the UK and the other was from London like me! Woohoo, a fellow Londoner - I felt less lonely. I only got to properly talk to him during enrolment though. I like that my class is fairly small, we're taught alongside international HRM students which is cool since our modules overlap somewhat. Enrolment was easy peasy since I was a home student, so the queue was tiny compared to the huge line of international students. I managed to enrol and get my photo taken for my ID card in 30 minutes which was great - not so great because it meant I was ridiculously early for my date with the boyfriend. 

I wasted a lot of that spare time in Costa reading through the elective module choices, we have to pick 4 optional modules to study on top of the core modules. I'm pretty much picking all the organisational psychology related modules because that's where I can fully utilise my psychology degree - luckily there are 2 in each block that I could choose. I just need to be early with submitting these choices in case the spaces get snapped up quickly. 

So far, I'm really liking the university, the course is really suited to me as well. I remember being worried that the majority of students would have a business/management related first degree so compared to them, I will have very limited knowledge in anything business/management related. But these modules are pretty much the organisational psychology course I did in third year, but expanded and in much more depth. So right now, I don't feel so worried about not being able to catch up - playing to your strengths is a very good thing to do. 

I'm looking forward to when I get my full timetable after I make my course choices. I'll need to plan working at H&M around it as well. I just hope I can cope with work and studying as well as social life =/

No comments:

Post a Comment