Sunday 29 September 2013

Let the busy times commence.

My first week at University studying masters was quite insightful. First of all, I learnt that in masters, due to the classes being much smaller, more discussions take place and with that, more group work. Until recently, I've never really been big on speaking aloud, expressing my views and contributing to in-class discussions. I guess that's just how I've always been, even in secondary school, teachers used to have nothing negative to say apart from contribution to in-class discussions. But ever since I was made to do presentations and working in groups much more during my final year studying Psychology as well as entering the working world with my part-time job - I can really say hey, I actually have a voice. As well, I don't think I really wanted to talk much before because I was afraid of outside perspectives on myself - now I could really care less about what people think. But of course, studying masters, you rarely ever get those judgemental idiots that are quick to disrespect you and criticise your way of thinking. People are generally more objective, open minded and if they do have something against your views then it's always constructive and never just because they don't like you. I guess this is one aspect I like about studying masters - everyone is friendly and open to listening to your opinion. I really feel like after a year of these group chats every week, presentations and workshops - I'll really develop as an individual by the time I get my 2nd degree.

Generally, the lectures were great. I like all my lecturers which is a good sign. Not much to say on this part since the first week is always "introductory" lectures that just outline what is it you're actually studying. I have so much coursework though and exams in January T__T, this will be new to me since I've never actually had exams in January - only 8 exams in the summer for the past 3 years of my undergraduate =___= I guess it'll be interesting having to split revision time evenly across the year rather than cramming everything in a month before the exams. There's just so many dates and deadlines to remember because there's also workshops going on during November and I pretty much have one for every module I study which is a pain. 

Other than that, my job has been getting more and more enjoyable - maybe because I work less hours now. I don't know how people can handle full time retail. But I had a meeting with the store manager yesterday and she's keeping me as a permanent member of staff now! Awesome since I actually have some income coming in, I was trying to think of a backup plan in case my temporary contract doesn't get renewed but looks like I won't have to anymore. I feel very lucky to have such a lovely department manager, store manager and assistant store manager. People say working in retail is horrible but it's really who you work with that matters. I love kidswear despite the horrible customers and the annoying plastic hangers that barely fit the clothes so you look like you're trying to rip people's clothes up trying to get the hangers off in front of the customers at the cash desk, the mess people make trying to find the right size clothes. But I really love the people I work with so it's not all that bad. 

Roll on 2nd week of masters!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment