Friday 21 March 2014

As I learn more and more in my MA...

...I come to realise that my whole life will revolve around conflicting with managers.

As a sales associate I come across incompetent managers. I'm in conflict with managers because I don't necessarily believe they're always fair with things like handing out shifts to people, pressuring people to do overtime (esp newbies on probation), being always on your ass about tidying, clearing dumps etc. I don't actually have the last one because I'm a loner in my dept, my manager probably doesn't even know I exist half the time until someone mentions "Home department" lolol. It's nice to be non-existant though, I won't be the first one in mind when he's handing out overtime like drugs.

Later in life, if I work in HR, I already know I'll be at loggerheads with managers again. From what I've learnt this past year (academic year), managers hate HR and HR hate incompetent managers. This is something I hear a lot of:

"A lot of managers don't have the right skills to manage people properly."

Not meaning to sound degrading or ignorant to those who hold management positions, but this is actually true in a lot of cases. You don't need qualifications to become a manager, in fact many managers work their way up from the bottom to be able to become a manager. But arguably, managers are some of the most hard working and dedicated people I've seen, overtime becomes compulsory and a regular thing for them, long shifts become the norm. It's no wonder managers feel like they have no time to actually deal with HR demands. But in other cases, I've also seen some very bad management without the HR side of things - lazy managers, power abusive managers, pressuring managers, threatening managers, managers that like to micro-manage (don't get me started on micro managing...). It's also no wonder why HR hates managers too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment