Wednesday 12 March 2014

Nerd post: Android 4.4 KitKat

So 4.4 KitKat has finally dropped for Samsung phones. Today was the day I finally moved away from 4.2.2 JB.

I was reluctant to upgrade at first because last time I did, things went horribly wrong. I upgraded to 4.3 and was left without wifi (for some odd reason wifi could not even be toggled on and off) and a really unstable network. I had to go through the long ass process of downgrading back to 4.2.2 which took me about 4 hours to do. Obviously, I didn't want to have to go through that again so I've been putting off upgrading anything for a few months now.

Finally took it upon myself to upgrade today and surprisingly it worked, got to 4.3 fine without problems and then surprisingly the next upgrade went to 4.4 without problems as well. KitKat doesn't look much different to JB, I was expecting a lot more changes to the interface and icons but everything looks pretty much the same. I was probably expecting it to look like my boyfriend's phone, he bought the Nexus 5 preloaded with KitKat - lucky Google phone users got KitKat before the official release to other phones.

I'm actually glad that not much looks different since I'm a change hater, only thing I was a bit like "ewww" towards is the main clock on the lock screen. I could swear it looked different on JB but it looks a bit blocky and square for my liking on KitKat. Haven't managed to test the performance of the new firmware but I'm hoping there's not much change there either, I was pretty happy with the speed, battery life and overall performance of 4.2.2 so hopefully the upgrade hasn't affected the battery life much with all the new features (which I'm yet to see).

I noticed there's a Samsung app called Knox installed with 4.3. I've heard a lot of bad things about Knox and how it prevents downgrading so I have yet to actually enable the app - at the moment I don't plan to downgrade but just in case, it's better to leave the bad things untouched.

Overall, I'm pretty happy that the upgrade went well, I was actually just upgrading to test if there's been a fix for all the problems that people have been reporting regarding the wifi and network stability but looks like everything is alright now. On the contrary, I was actually preparing myself for a night of downgrading again in case 4.3 screws me over, but I can sit back and enjoy playing around with KitKat for the rest of tonight instead.    

Happy days.


No comments:

Post a Comment