Tuesday 16 October 2012

I'm just a ball of frustration right now.

I've finally got everything on the way-sorted. Makes no sense, I know but yeah, everything's getting there.

Final year project - once ethics is approved, I can start. I'm just finding it difficult to be organised, went to the office to hand some forms in and oops I forgot I'm grabbing the last part of the form on Wednesday -___-" had to do the awkward "oops, I'll come back in 2 days time."

This week's worth of lectures were dead. Actually, today's was quite interesting, the lecturer was funny, he kept cracking jokes - some were awkward where no one actually understood the meaning behind them and others were dirty jokes. He actually said something along the lines of "it's better to do it in a group than to do it alone - actually, let's not go down that route" omg. Even though I had been up since 9:30am (I know, it's not that early compared to some people - but I've been sleeping at ridiculous times, starving myself of sleep and just being a bad sleeper in general these past few months) I managed to crack a smirk sometimes at his crude jokes.

What else? Oh yeah, applications. I got approval from 2 academic people from the psych dept to be my refereeeees yaaaaay. I was so happy that part was out of the way - I just never know how to approach people when to ask for a favour. Should I do it by email? Or by person? Generally, I think it's better to ask in person because the response time is quicker (I'd rather ask than sit around waiting for an email). So the references part is out the way, I just needed to do my personal statement of 3000 characters - easy enough right? Wrong. Now 3000 characters is nothing, it's barely a page typed up on word, the hard thing is to express myself concisely within the limit. I tend to waffle around too much and get sidetracked talking about irrelevant things but I'm glad that I managed to produce something that expresses why I want to be an SLT. I was surprised at how professional it sounds actually! Talking about my third year project sounds so surreal for some reason, I feel like a researcher applying for some research position with the words "In my final year project..." anyway... before I submit everything, I've sent it off to my academic tutor for it to be checked over. After all, this is quite an important thing in my life at the moment, it's the thing that matters to me the most right now just because the deadline is so near. The bottom line is, I will definitely be doing a Masters - the difference is whether I have to pay £7000 tuition or not - goodbye another 1-2 years of my life.

So as you can imagine, my life has been full of university-related stuff. Nothing much exciting has happened, I've met a bunch of new people from going out around summer time - it's nice to talk to new people sometimes, because I can be impartial with the things I say. Not sure if impartial is the right word in this context but I mean that I don't have to think about what I say with the fear of "what if x tells y about z" you know? Sometimes talking to someone who is out of your circle of friends is quite therapeutic because they can be an unbiased judge to the situation (if there is a situation). Not that I don't care about my circle of friends but you just don't know who you can trust sometimes (yes, I trust no one, I've learnt the hard way that it's just best not to give everyone your all - anyone can betray you when the time is right for them... let's not go into that dark side of the topic though).

My dad bought a brand new car - 62 plate. I was actually surprised he would - the first thing he splashes his cash on is a brand new car. I must say though, I love it so much, even though I won't get to drive it yet, it's so lovely, the interior is so comfortable and you just get that nice new smell once you're inside. I might be going over the top haha. But yeah, nice cars are lovely - obviously. It's a shame Mum isn't letting him drive it around everywhere no matter how much he wants to, awww. Earlier, Mum was talking to me saying "Dad wants to go here and there just so he can get to drive his new car around." He is seriously a prime example of "boys and their toys" - once he picked it up, I spent an hour sitting in the car listening to him show off all the new gadgets and technology it has. Yeah, keep making me jealous, Dad :(

My room is getting a full refurbish in the next couple of months! I'm quite excited for this because well, I hate my room with a passion, it's like dancing around glass when I come in here. I knock one thing over, 5 other things fall with it. I've outgrown my bed as well. Only downside is that I'll be room-less for a month or 2, I'll be sleeping in my brother's room, noooooooo. Sharing a room is going to be a pain with him because the spare bed is crap and how is a nocturnal person (me) supposed to sleep in the same room as someone who has a normal sleep pattern (him)? This'll be fun.

I'm also getting a MacBook Pro courtesy of Mum and Dad haha. Nah, it's my 21st birthday present actually. I was having trouble deciding between iPad 3 or MacBook. The obvious choice would be MacBook, I know, but I wanted to consider something more lightweight, can watch movies on, can bring around everywhere with you etc. But I decided that it's time my 5 year old laptop takes a break from all the abuse I dish it, it's been a good companion but it's time for it to retire. I've managed to persuade them to buy me the i7 processor one (sorry, I'm going to be a liiiiittle geeky here...), my brother has the i5 processor one, it's fast, don't get me wrong but with the i7 processor out now, why wouldn't you spend an extra £300 to get the newer version rather than opt for the older version? I haven't tested out i7 processor yet, I know many Windows models have it too but the MacBook being arguable the most powerful laptop out there at the moment, you'd be a fool not to accept. Actually, I had this argument with myself, I've used Windows since like what? Windows 95 - switching over to Apple OS will be a big change, I'm definitely going to install Windows on my MacBook as well so I can get the best of both worlds (this isn't actually illegal!) It's just getting used to the functions on MacBook is going to be hard for me who's always liked the simplicity of Windows... I'll stop being a nerd now.

Sooo... This was just a thorough update on my life at the moment. Not much going on life-wise apart from parents being constantly at home now because Chef For You has hung up the wok. They're abandoning me for 6 weeks at the end of January next year. Dad gets to spend his birthday in Hong Kong - I bet he's super happy. New car, new bedroom, new laptop. Apart from that, university, university, university. Third year has been indeed stressful from the get go. I get anxious making plans outside of study because I only get Sundays off work now. And Sunday happens to be a family day so... Yeah. My life currently revolves around my family (oh god, speaking of family, I had to teach both of my parents to use an iPhone - they both have one now even though I have no idea why they would need one EACH...) and studies. I do miss my friends but this is the most important year of my life so if any of you are reading this, please forgive my lack of communication and introvertedness. I've decided to be a total introvert and nerd this upcoming year, I'm married to my textbooks for now but I still love you all!        

No comments:

Post a Comment