Thursday 25 October 2012

Procrastination post.

Derp.

Today is horrible, I overslept so now I'm really de-motivated.

I spent all night making this blog look decent. As you can probably tell, I've changed the layout - I decided the font on the old layout was too small and since I type so much text, having small font is off-putting.

To say the least, I meant to wake up early and get all my work done before 3pm so I can have the night off, but that doesn't look likely. I woke up late, so now I'm feeding off sugar to get my mood and motivation back up there to do work.

I still have 2 papers to read but reading academic papers is such a chore, I'm trying to practice how to read them more efficiently to get to the information I want. One of my lecturers gave me a really good idea how to sift through the usual, very long winded introductions - usually the last sentence of the introduction explains the experimental aims and hypotheses that the study is looking at so that's quite a handy tip. I now literally skim through the introduction, skipping sections that are textbook knowledge and get straight to the results and discussion. I try not to spend more than 45 minutes reading one paper if possible. I just feel so demotivated whenever I'm faced with a 20+ page paper that contain multiple experiments meaning multiple explanations of results and multiple conclusions.

I'm doing additonal reading for Organisational Psychology today. I do like the course so far but the content is very dry, it reminds me a lot of social psychology with a little bit of personality and individual differences from last year just applied in a business context. It is interesting to see how businesses use psychology to employ the best people, motivate workers for maximum efficiency, why employers use psychological tests etc. But of course we all know some businesses use them in the wrong way and end up judging people wrongly because of a score in a psychological measure or an IQ test. Actually this is off topic because the reading I'm doing today is on how people categorise themselves as part of an organisation that differentiates them from other companies. Dry.

In other news, my laptop is officially dying. Core temperature is currently 83 degrees C. Back in the day when it was fine, it was around 50-60. I'm just waiting for the moment it hits over 90 degrees and breaks down completely (actually that would be a bad thing because this is the fastest laptop I have access to right now... My netbook is too small to do any kind of reading on). I suspect taking the CPU fan out and giving it a clean would help but that takes too much time and effort so I'm just going to stick with it until the end of November. I can't wait to get all frustrated using a MacBook, I'm going to miss Windows so much.

But you know as they say, it's time to move on and adapt.

I promise I'll post something more meaningful when I have time. I miss making deep-centred-thoughts type posts. My life is all uni and work right now, I'm married to my psychology textbooks, remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment