Friday 23 November 2012

People making assumptions about me.

Not going to name who but there's always people who will say you're this and that based on what they think and what they feel. People let their feelings get in the way of how they see you. Something bad happens and they don't feel good so they say you're this and that.

I stopped caring long about what people thought about me. Growing up in a family where the importance of appearances was emphasised, it wasn't easy to figure out who I was. During my teenage days, I was in constant confusion about who I am, what I want to be in the future. Heavy expectations of parents due to my culture, being constantly compared to my brother - there were times where I felt like I had to be a doctor or a lawyer in the future to be recognised by my parents. But I won't go into that...

I actually decided to study Psychology at degree level to learn about myself rather than become a psychologist by the end of it. I know very little psychology students actually become psychologists at the end but I just wanted to use it to find out who I am. I feel that university has changed me in more ways than one - I began to see the world in a different perspective. The purpose of going to university wasn't for the partying, university itself became like a learning curve for me. I started off not knowing anyone again, making new friends - the friends I made at university changed me in some way too. The different perspectives on life that they have, the different lives that they live. In the short space of 2 years, I feel like I've really matured in many ways.

There will always be people there that judge you along the way, even ones that you call friends, but the ones that really love you will stand by you no matter what happens and no matter what choices you make.

No comments:

Post a Comment