Friday 16 November 2012

When stress hits you like you've just been uppercut by a giant kangaroo that knows how to box.

Not really but okay. Ranting entry.

Firstly, yes Mum, I'm aware that there's a huge, unsightly spot growing on my chin. You don't need to keep reminding me every minute of the day. Next thing you know, she'll be giving it a name like it's a new addition to the family.

I've got so much going on right now, today was heavily stressful because I went out to have dim sum with my uncle (of course, I can't even use work as an excuse because this is my uncle who I haven't seen in ages and you know how traditional parents are all about appearances...). But going to have dim sum with my uncle also means sitting there listening to these over 50 folks talk about the same thing 100 times before you're allowed to leave. They spoke about iPhones for about 2 hours, and why my uncle should get one. Dad even called my other uncle in Hong Kong using Viber just to demonstrate how awesome the iPhone is (to these old people, any phone that can go online are pretty amazing things). They were pretty much like "OMG FREE CALLS TO HONG KONG" "OMG FACETIME" "OMG FREE TEXTS" "OMG GPS" "OMG WEB BROWSING" "OMG EMAILS" "OMG VIDEOS". Slightly exaggerated account of what happened but I think you get the idea.

So it was about 4pm until I got home (we were there since 12:30pm, fml...) and so I sat down got a slice of cake and some tea and attempted to get started on some extra reading for developmental. I didn't actually get any physical notes written down on my sheet until around 6pm - why? Because I got an email from my supervisor about presentation dates and it clashed with my dissertation meeting date so I had to make a lengthy reply to my dissertation supervisor (since she had sent me quite a detailed one) to reschedule, as well as replying to everything else in the email - it was about topic choice so I had to read up on some of the stuff so I could write back. That took about an hour since I came up with yet another dissertation idea and put that into the email too. Too many ideas floating around, I just don't know which to choose yet - hence, I need the meeting to discuss.

When I was out, I also got an email from my personal advisor who wanted to have a meeting on Tuesday - inside my head I was like "are you effing kidding me?" I have so much going on next week I won't be able to make it to everything. As you can imagine, everything ended up as a mess since I was supposed to have the presentation on Tuesday but since no one wants to do Tuesday, I've had to sort of conform to the majority and go for Wednesday and reschedule the disso meeting to Tuesday and reject my personal advisor at the same time. I don't really like rejecting my personal advisor because there was once she didn't take lightly to me not attending things because "I thought they were useless" - actually, thinking back, I didn't know why I went into that individual meeting full of attitude haha.

(There's this stupid dog outside smashing himself against his cage and whining - why my neighbour decides to keep their dog in a giant monkey cage is beyond me... Just thought I'd make this entry as true-to-the-moment as possible).

Anyway, all that emailing and researching took a long time. So I started work at 6 and thank god, the workload was small-ish because about 2 of the papers to read weren't accessible and the other 3 that were were actually really short journals. I think my head would explode if I had to read another 2 x 45 page articles again like yesterday.

Progress on my room is slow. We've had 2 carpenters round to survey my room - the first one was really... weird. He didn't seem like he knew what we were talking about - I showed him pictures I took from Ikea and he was still kinda like "derp". The second one came today and he was awesome, I told him exactly what I wanted and he measured everything and scribbled notes down on this crumpled up piece of paper which I found quite hilarious for some reason. The first guy had some organised clipboard of paper whereas this guy had some scrap piece of paper he probably found in his van haha. Although the first one seemed more professional I think this second guy seems better - he was literally like a carpenter - can build anything. The first guy had limits to what size he could build things. Anyway, enough reviewing on the carpenters. The ceiling was plastered this morning - the guy came at like 7am so obviously, I slept through everything. I woke up when he left haha.

The ceiling is drying at the moment. Hopefully it'll be painted by early next week =/ progress is so slow, carpenters are so busy around Christmas time - I probably won't have a room until 2013...

*sob sob*

No comments:

Post a Comment