Saturday 3 November 2012

Why do I keep doing this to myself?

I think I'm becoming a workaholic. Something like this has happened before but a few years ago.

I find myself working at 3am, and possibly not sleeping until 7am. I was thinking about this whilst I was doing that yesterday (well, technically earlier today, it's now 3:15pm and yes, I just woke up). I find that I can work the best during that time because everyone in the house is asleep and I can really concentrate because there's nothing on TV at the time and nothing interesting to do on the internet - not that I have the TV on when I'm working anyway, but it's tempting all the same. Actually, the fact that I read my papers on here makes it all the more distracting, it's really easy to switch over to something else and get wrapped up in that instead.

With that said, no, I'm not neglecting personal hygiene haha. I might be neglecting meals, but Mum always comes to remind me eat which can be annoying too especially when I have a 20+ page paper to get through (like today, I'm behind schedule so I have 1.5x the amount of work). But I know I need to eat, it's just when you're caught up doing work, it's really hard to tear yourself away. I've been snacking on random stuff I can find, I know many people who do work snack but even so, I think about getting a snack when I'm doing work and then suddenly the thought goes away and I forget to even go and pick up the snack. So I just wait for dinner.

I reaaaaally don't want to do any work this Sunday so hopefully I can get everything done today...

I've also decided to change my dissertation topic. I found out there's a pretty big chance of it overlapping with a lecture - which isn't allowed. So I'm thinking of writing about dual personalities in people that are bilingual. Much more interesting, but not much research on it - people tend to look at language and cognition rather than personality - I mean I'm sceptical. As a bilingual person myself, I find it hard to see how I can exhibit 2 different personalities, one for each language. But maybe my perspective on this will change once I get round to reading the papers on it.

My life is all about papers, lecture notes, highlighters and my automatic lead pencil right now. Have a good Friday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment